Saturday, July 23, 2011

Touching the Pacific

Today the kids touched the Pacific Ocean for the 1st time in their lives. We got up early and headed to the coast. We missed the Ranger-meeting spot and headed down the rocky beach on our own. To the left of us was Ocean, with huge cliff walled rock outcroppings spread about and pelicans diving for a school of fish. To the right of us were piles of sun washed giant spruce trees, fallen years ago ands washed up here. It was a playground, like giant pick up sticks tossed on the beach. And the thick forest beyond that. The layers were unique.
The tide was low as we reached Hole in the Wall, an archway thru one of the outcroppings and we found lots of sea life in the tide pools, star fish, sea anemone, crabs, small fish, hermit crabs. The tidal carvings of the rock were amazing. We picnicked among the driftwood.
As we headed back to camp, we all agreed to spend the rest of the afternoon at the campsite. Our campsite is a hidden gem. From first pass, the site looks small and exposed. Many just pass by. But we stopped, "look, we can at least see the river". Daiv walked down a shaded path at the rear of the campsite to paradise. The lush green rain forest made a canopy above our heads, with a hole above to let out the smoke and let in the stars. To the left was a path..... It winded thru the forest toward sun. A small set of natural stairs and a rock bridge put us at the rapid water's edge. Here is were I now sit writing this.

5 comments:

  1. sounds relaxing....i'm listening to cicadas.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, this trip is amazing. I'm going to miss you by about a week. Headed out to Missoula, MT this week. I can't believe you guys aren't pooped:) I remember doing the southwest for a couple of months but I was 27 and no kids. What troopers those two are. By the way, since I'm such a boob and cannot figure how to identify myself, I'm another anonymous-Bear. I should have been a teacher. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW-I'm in Salt Lake City Aug 2-4. Then I'll be in southern Cali the week of Aug 8. Let me know if you'll be around those areas. I doubt it, but it's worth a shot. Would be cool to see you guys on the road, in your element. Bear (Jilber)

    ReplyDelete
  4. we will be in southern Cal., got a room for 5?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, hi there, ho there. I will have a king sized bed and a pull out couch. Of course a pool and a gym. You are more than welcome to crash with me. It would be beyond awsome. We should touch base as the date nears. Bear

    ReplyDelete